||Cologne Southern Cemetery, known locally as Sudfriedhof, Zollstock, is about 5 kilometres south of the cathedral on the Honningerweg.
The cemetery may be approached from the A4 motorway leaving at junction Koln-Klettenberg. Follow the direction for Koln-Klettenberg, turning right into the Luxemburger Strasse. At the traffic lights, close to the railway crossing, turn right again into the Militarring Strasse. At the second traffic lights turn left into the Oberer Komarweg, which passes under a viaduct. Turn right into the Kalscheurer Strasse. Turn right again into the first street which is the Keudenicher Strasse, this road leads to the Honinger Platz. The main entrance of 'Koln Sudfriedhof' can be seen from this Honinger Platz roundabout.
Entering the 'Friedhof' from the main entrance, follow the main cemetery road which leads to Cologne War Cemetery.
||Cologne was entered by British forces on the 6th December, 1918, and occupied by the British Army, under the terms of the Treaty of Versailles, from that month until January, 1926.
The Sudfriedhof, or Southern Cemetery, is one of the City cemeteries, begun in 1900, and covers a very large area. It was used during the war for the burial of more than a 1,000 Allied prisoners, as well as German soldiers. After the Armistice it was used by the British garrison and in 1922, it was chosen as one of the four permanent cemeteries to which British graves in Germany should be moved. The work was completed in the following year.
British graves were brought to Cologne from 183 cemeteries throughout Germany.
Within the cemetery stands the Cologne Memorial, which commemorates twenty-five Non Commissioned Officers and men of the forces of the United Kingdom, who died in Germany and the sites of whose graves are not known.
The British War Grave Plots are laid out in the form of the letter T, with the head of the T at the East end and at right angles to the main avenue of the cemetery. They are prolonged at the West end by four plots of Rhine Army burials which took place after the legal termination of the War.