||The cemetery was started in August 1915. In 1916 it was taken over by the 16th (Irish) Division, who held the Loos Salient at the time, and many of their dead were brought back to it from the front line. Succeeding Divisions used the cemetery until October 1918, and men of the same Division, and often the same battalion, were buried side by side.
After the Armistice, this cemetery was one of those used for the concentration of isolated graves from the Loos battlefield, including the bodies of 41 men of the 9th Black Watch. Of the bodies thus concentrated, over 250 could not be individually identified.
There are now nearly 2,000, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site.
The cemetery covers an area of 7,244 square metres and is enclosed by a brick wall with stone coping.